Monday, December 1, 2014

Secrets Over Sweet Tea

Title: Secrets Over Sweet Tea

Author: Denise Hildreth Jones [Website][Facebook][Twitter]

Publisher: Tyndale Fiction

Series: Has a companion non-fiction book called Reclaiming Your Heart: A Journey Back to Laughing, Loving, and Living.

ISBN: 9781414366845

Length: 387 pages + "Discussion Questions"

Obtained: Library book kit copy

Why this book?:

It was for my book discussion group.

Note: I read the print and ebook editions of this book. 

 Comments: 

I enjoyed this book (though the discussion was very slight and comments lackluster).  Scarlett Jo is a great character.  And inspirational too.  She has SO much personality.  She'd be (as one of the first the discussion questions asks) a great friend.

As for the secrets...  They range from alcoholism, to adultery, to well - I don't want to give too much away.  I understand secrets, though I tend not to keep many about myself.  Coming from a family with both mental illness and addiction (both having stigmas in their own right), I feel there is a time and a place, but mostly I just tell it how it is.  And since that sounds like Scarlett Jo let me explain that I am nothing like her.  I could never be so outgoing.  Nor could I be so nonchalant about others reactions towards me.

Anyway, hile I get the secret part of the book, the forgiveness aspect is even more difficult for me.  I (here comes the little touched upon religious part of me) know it is a vital part of my life, but I'm not so hot about doing it.  Or at least, I wouldn't be in the scenarios presented in the book.  Though I have to say, I felt some characters in the book went way overboard in their reactions and need some forgiving for too.

Overall, I wouldn't mind reading more from this author.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. I love to hear from you!

Comments on posts older than 6 days are moderated.