Monday, December 1, 2014

Midnight Crossroad

Title: Midnight Crossroad

Author: Charlaine Harris [Website][Facebook][IMDb]

Publisher: ACE

Series: Midnight, Texas, Bk 1

ISBN: 9780425263150

Length: 305 pages

Obtained: Purchased at a convention so I could get an autograph/picture with Charlaine Harris

Why this book?:

I wanted to read it eventually because I have enjoyed Charlaine Harris's writing in the past, and I knew it was connected to the Harper Connelly series which I finished in January 2014.  I needed to read it now because I offered in in a paperbackswap.com game, and needed to get it in the mail.

Comments:

I quickly found myself interested in Midnight and the "characters" (I mean that it multiple ways) that inhabit it.  I found (to my surprise) that not only is Manfred from the Harper Connelly series in this book, but also Bobo from the Lily Bard series.  I knew there had to be other characters from other series, so I've gone looking.  Sheriff Arthur Smith is apparently from the Aurora Teagarden mysteries (Found this thanks to LibraryThing).  I'm not entirely sure who is from the Sookie Stackhouse series.  It has been so long since I've read any of them (2009)... between my memory slipping and potential name changes...  But I'm sure at least one character is from that series.

Anyway, so beyond spotting familiar characters among the pages of the story,the story itself was interesting.  Manfred is setting up in this quaint little town.  He fits in rather well, as he's as different and accepting of different as the other residents.  He's with many of these characters at a picnic when they discover that Bobo's missing girlfriend is actually dead and there is a murderer among them.  But figuring out who that might be amongst such a tight-knit group where you don't ask questions and leave each-others secrets be is not so easy.

I look forward to reading more about the residents of Midnight, Texas when book 2, Day Shift, comes out May 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. I love to hear from you!

Comments on posts older than 6 days are moderated.