Monday, September 29, 2014

Call the Midwife: A Memoir of Birth, Joy, and Hard Times

Title: Call the Midwife: A Memoir of Birth, Joy, and Hard Times

Author: Jennifer Worth

Publisher: Penguin Books

Series: Call the Midwife, Bk 1

ISBN: 9780143123255

Length: 319 pages + Appendix "On the difficulties of writing the Cockney dialect" + Glossary

Obtained: Library book club kit copy

Why this book?:

This was this month's book for the discussion I've begun leading.

Note: I read the print and ebook editions of this book. 

Comments:

I was worried this might drag for me the way August's memoir was.  To my great relief, not only did this not drag, but if flowed.  I quickly found myself caught up in the descriptions (not something I usually say) and characters Jennifer met during her time midwifing in the 50s in the docklands of London.

Jennifer discusses the good, bad, and ugly.  Some stories brought a smile, stories of warmth found even during strained situations.  Others were sad or sickening in turn and showed the dark side of humanity.

The book certainly brought interesting discussion (for which I was relieved as well).  I don't have much to say about it now, but I am most definitely glad I read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. I love to hear from you!

Comments on posts older than 6 days are moderated.