Thursday, May 1, 2014

Buried in a Bog

Title: Buried in a Bog

Author: Sheila Connolly [Website][Facebook] aka Sarah Atwell [Berkley Prime Crime]

Publisher: Berkley Prime Crime Mystery

Series: County Cork Mystery, Bk 1

ISBN: 9780425251898

Length: 293 pages

Obtained: Library copy

Why this book?:

I've enjoyed Sheila's Museum Mystery series, I've been interested in reading this series for awhile, but I finally started doing so when I saw the County Cork Mysteries by Sheila Connolly are the selection for the April Cozy Mystery Book Club on A Cozy Girl Reads.

Comments:


Maura has come to County Cork to fulfill her grandmother's dying wish.  She doesn't know what she's to do once she gets there, but she has no pressing concerns or pressures pulling her back.  A good thing because 1) the pacing in Ireland is so very much take it as it comes and no rush and 2) because her experience bartending and waitressing puts her in the perfect position to help out at Sullivan's (a small somewhat dingy pub) while they sort out some inheritance tangles.

In the meantime a body has been found in the bog after decades.  Which brings me to the charm of the book.  Because yes, the Irish aspect is great.  The characters are wonderful.  But what brought that extra bit of amusement to me was the way the mystery was solved.  Obviously I don't want to share who the bad guy is.  But there's a lovely sit down with some suspects while they sort it all out that reminded me of a cross between the classics like Ellery Queen or Agatha Christie and some more recent TV shows like Monk.  The whole scenario is laid out.  Clues observed.  Loose threads discussed.  And it's mostly wrapped up... with a glass of whiskey.

Anyway, I enjoyed the book and proceeded to read the next in the series, Scandal in Skibbereen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. I love to hear from you!

Comments on posts older than 6 days are moderated.