Monday, April 21, 2014

Ghost Seer

Title: Ghost Seer

Author: Robin D. Owens [Website][Facebook][Twitter]

Publisher: Berkley Sensation Paranormal Romance

Series: Ghost Seer, Bk 1

ISBN: 9780425268902

Length: 296 pages + "Author's Note and Acknowledgements"

Obtained: Library copy

Why this book?:

As soon as I saw Robin D. Owens was putting another book out I requested the library purchase it.  This was just after I caught up with the Celta series.

Comments: 


 So this is a new series by Robin.  It is actually set in the western part of the U.S. (primarily Colorado) the entire time.  This is different than the two series I have read before - "Celta Heartmate" and "Llandra" (I haven't tried the "Enchanted" series yet).  The writing, the characters, the "voice" that all remains the same.  But I have to say I think the setting changed the feel some.  

And the setting is important.  Main character Clare has developed the ability to see ghosts from a certain period and area.  Namely ghosts from the Old West.  And she needs to live in the area where those ghosts are from.  In this case she is helping the ghost of gunslinger Jack Slade.  I hadn't heard of him before but in the Notes at the end Robin mentions a couple of books she used for her research.  This caught my interest enough that I actually check one of them - The Death of a Gunslinger: The Quest for Jack Slade, the West's Most Elusive Legend - out.  I haven't gotten very far - just the introduction - but we'll see if I can actually keep with it.

Anyway, because this is also a romance we also have a hero in the story.  Zach Slade has always been in police work.  But he was injured on the job, has some lasting wounds, and can no longer work in his chosen field.  The closest he can get is private investigator, as much as he sneers at even the words.  Zach is a very bitter character, but Clare seems to help "heal" his attitude and he improves with time.

And how can I forget Clare's new sidekick, Enzo.  He's a dog... and a ghost.  Which means he can talk.  And apparently he is occasionally something more as well.

Anyway, I still anxiously await another book in the Celta Heartmate series, but I look forward to reading the next book in this series, Ghost Layer, too.  And maybe I'll read the Enchanted series while I wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. I love to hear from you!

Comments on posts older than 6 days are moderated.