Sunday, November 27, 2011

Couple things - Thoughts? Opinions? Plus, 1 book read since the last post...

1) What do you think of the mini-review thing I've been doing. This is a change I made as part of my attempt to keep blogging in my life w/o becoming overwhelmed by it.  It was supposed to be just a line or two, and I know I've been getting a bit longer with some, but do you like? Dislike?  I know it's simpler on my part.  I don't think I'll be going back to providing all the details I was.  I could add cover images again, though.  And I've been mostly linking to Paperbackswap, but I could link to somewhere else.  I hesitate to do Amazon, but maybe Goodreads even thought I'm not on there?  Or somewhere else?  I'd love to hear any thoughts or suggestions.  I'd like this blog to fit me AND my readers.

2) I have a surplus of books that I'd like to read.  I'm reading Reckoning by Lili St. Crow next, and then I need to read something for the Vintage Mystery Challenge but after that?  Another cozy mystery (I've been doing a lot of those)?  A fantasy?  A romance? I have some of several genres and themes and formats.  I'm flexible.  Too flexible - that's my problem now.  So suggestions?  What do you prefer hearing the most about?

3) Since posting on Thanksgiving Day I've read Shoe Done It (Accessories Mystery, Bk 1) by Grace Carroll (personal copy - received through paperbackswap.com).  After surprisingly enjoying the Haley Randolph Mysteries - a series with a huge focus on handbags - I hoped this first in series would work for me too.  It had it's pros and cons, but the biggie for me is that the protag Rita Jewel is annoying.  It might be easiest to give an example...

Her boss has this designer dress that a customer requested but changes her mind on.  The boss turns to Rita and tells her how it will work on her, and "pay when she can."  Rita then tells me, as the reader, see how generous she is?  How can I refuse anything she asks?  Umm, yeah.  She's so generous she talks you into buying a pricey dress you don't need and weren't looking for to get it out of her shop where she knows her other customers aren't gonna want it either.

Anyway, the story didn't drag, and I was generally interested.  But that door-mat trait (cuz sorry, that's what I get from that scene) doesn't gel well with me.  I'm still debating about whether I'll continue with the series.  I'll have to see how things work out.

3 comments:

  1. I say do what is best for you. That said, I'm all for the mini reviews. I like 'em short and sweet. I do like the link. If I need more info on the book, it's there for me to read the summary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're doing better than me. ;-) So far, it's seems to be working for you.

    With Goodreads, if you write the review there, it will create a box to the side --- it's hard to explain -- where the html "guts" of the review can be copied. So, all you would have to do on your blog is create a new post, paste the html, and maybe do some deleting of the extra spacing between paragraphs. The post will also show the book cover, your rating and a link to "see all my reviews" on Goodreads. I know of at least one blogger who does her reviews this way, Danielle's Book Thoughts -- and I just experimented with it so I could write this explanation.

    And you could still do multiple books per post, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. J. Kaye - I do have to say that there's less pressure to fit a mold w/ the mini reviews. I think I'm going to keep that in general with the occassional exception.

    Christina - The thing about Goodreads is that it requires your zip code. Then it displays your location w/o the option to hide it. Or at least that's the way it used to work. So I can't have an account or post reviews there and maintain what privacy I have.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment. I love to hear from you!

Comments on posts older than 6 days are moderated.