Sunday, October 10, 2010

Memoirs/True Stories Mini Challenge

Mini-Challenege hosted at Rainy Day Reviews

Questionnaire:


1. Have you ever read a memoir/true story (Or book 'based on true events'?)

Yes.  Not a lot but a few.

2. If so, what was the title/author?

- Another Day in the Frontal Lobe: A Brain Surgeon Exposes Life on the Inside


Author: Katrina S. Firlik


- A Child Called "It": One Child's Courage to Survive and The Lost Boy: A Foster Child's Search for the Love of a Family


Author: Dave Pelzer


- Work Hard. Be Nice.: How Two Inspired Teachers Created the Most Promising Schools in America

Author: Jay Matthews


3. What what it about?

- A neurosurgeon.  She discussed her training, what it actually meant to be a neurosurgeon, some stories, etc.

- Books about a young boy who was horribly abused by his mother and then his troublesome life in the foster system.

- A young man and his friend decide to make a difference in America's school system.


4. Did you like it? Would you recommend it?

- Interesting.  I took my time reading it, but it wasn't hard reading.

- I can't read this type of book now, but at the time I think I was fascinated by the first and somewhat bored by the second.

- Very interesting.  I did some Googling after I finished it to learn even more about the school program developed.

5. How many have you read?

Maybe 5ish adult ones?

6. Why or what made you want to read it?

- Looked interesting and I could buy it used for less than $1.

- I have no idea.

- Saw it at the library, the cover attracted me, and it looked interesting.


7. What was the saddest/scariest one you read?

The Dave Pelzer books were sad, especially the first.  I also read a book about a Chinese woman who was the 3rd wife of a man who moved to Canada and later the U.S. that I found very long and depressing.  All of these were read as a young teenager.  Like 13-15.

8. Did it have a 'happy ending'?

Um, I think the 2nd Dave Pelzer one does.  At the least the 3rd book by him is a happy "ending" to his story.  The Chinese one had a ending where she was satisfied w/ her life.  I don't know that I would consider it happy though.



9. When choosing a memoir/true story, do you look for a certain kind? ( i.e. historical diary, inspirational like The Freedom Writer's Diary, Christian, non Christian)


Now? I look for interesting.  I have a couple of historical diary types waiting if I ever work up the mood for them. It just depends.  I do look for happy endings now.

10. Bonus question(s-it's in parts:) for my giveaway: Have you read 3 or more memoirs/true stories? Title/Author, would you recommend them?If you were to win the giveaway prize, would you want the book, (Sizzling 16 by Janet Evanovich) and would you prefer the coffee or tea? or both?
 
Yes.
 
Another Day in the Frontal Lobe: A Brain Surgeon Exposes Life on the Inside/Katrina S. Firlik
A Child Called "It": One Child's Courage to Survive/Dave Pelzer
The Lost Boy: A Foster Child's Search for the Love of a Family/Dave Pelzer
Work Hard. Be Nice.: How Two Inspired Teachers Created the Most Promising Schools in America/Jay Matthews

Yes!

I don't drink coffee or tea, but I would take either/both (for my family).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. I love to hear from you!

Comments on posts older than 6 days are moderated.