Monday, December 22, 2008

Update, and the Cost of Reading

Finished False Profits and Cover Your Assets. Unfortunately, I do NOT have the third book in the series...yet. In the meantime, I've started Donna Andrews's Turing Hopper series. I have finished You've Got Murder. I was a bit taken aback to realize the main character is a computer (Artificial Intelligence Personality), but grew to like her anyway. I'm currently reading the second book in the series, Click Here for Murder.

Now, I have something else to "talk" about. Something that has been preying on my mind. Money... and so relevant to books!

There is a quote, "When I get a little money I buy books, and then if any is left I buy food and clothes." ~ Erasmus

Another says, "The great gift is the passion for reading. It is cheap, it consoles, it distracts, it excites. It gives knowledge of the world and experience of a wide kind. It is moral illumination." ~ Elizabeth Hardwick

... I have difficulty understanding how anybody can think a passion for reading is cheap! The only way for it to be cheap is if you exclusively use the library. And if you really have a passion for reading, are you going to limit yourself to library books? Not in my experience!

And if you're like me, and become curious and/or interested in what your reading about - to the extent of wanting to try it out? For instance, I've been reading Monica Ferris (Mary Monica Pulver)'s Needlecraft series. I've never done needlecraft, but now I'm interested in trying it. I found classes, $60. The books discuss how expensive supplies can be... that is just one example.

Now obviously, you can't do everything you read about. Especially when you really get into the more fantastical subjects. But a good author is likely to have you wanting to know more, whether it means continuing his/her books, further research, or in the case of my example actually trying it. And, sorry, but that isn't cheap.

Anyway, that's a wrap....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. I love to hear from you!

Comments on posts older than 6 days are moderated.