Monday, July 9, 2018

It's Monday! What are you reading? 7/9/2018

Hosted by: Book Date

This week I joined the 12th Annual Canadian Book Challenge.  We saw the new Jurassic World movie on Tuesday (I mostly liked it, but they hit quite a bit on the sad emotional stuff, and I didn't have quite enough raptor action, and I have mixed feelings about the ending).
I enjoyed the 4th of July parade Wednesday (despite the fact that it never really has floats anymore), but I did not enjoy the fireworks that have been turning the dogs into nervous and high-strung wrecks.

This week I finished reading:

Better Off Read (Bookmobile Mystery, Bk 1) by Nora Page - [My post] I had series doubts about this one for the first half.  But it looked adorable, and others seemed to enjoy it.  Thankfully, it picked up in the second half.

A is for Alibi (Kinsey Millhone, Bk 1) by Sue Grafton - [My post] Pretty enjoyable.  I look forward to continuing the series.

I'm currently reading:

In audio (on CD), I've been listening to Moby Dick by Herman Melville (read by Paul Boehmer).  Most recently, Ishmael has gone to select the vessel that he and Queequeg will be whaling on.  I actually do not not much about this story, despite it being a classic; though I'm still early on, everything in the story is new to me.

I started in print, From the Charred Remains (Lucy Campion Mystery, Bk 2) by Susanna Calkins.  I haven't gotten any further than last week because I was finishing some other books.


Ginny Moon by Benjamin Ludwig - I've just barely started this, but the book discussion it is for is Tuesday.  Fortunately, I've taken Monday off so I should be able to focus on finishing it.

Up next:

Other books I have through the library (and may or may not get to) include:

No Cure for the Dead (Florence Nightingale Mystery, Bk 1) by Christine Trent
How to Fall in Love with a Man Who Lives in a Bush by Emmy Abrahamson
Eye of the Shoal : a Fish-watcher's Guide to Life, the Ocean and Everything by Helen Scales
Mary Flora Bell : The Horrific True Story Behind an Innocent Girl Serial Killer by Nancy A. Veysey and Ryan Becker
The Scroll of Kings (Lost Books, Bk 1) by Sarah Prineas


 

9 comments:

  1. Glad better of Read picked up in the second half. I have chosen a book cozy mystery series to read but don't think its that one. I have put a request for it at the local library. Happy reading for this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What series/author is it? I have to be in a certain mood for cozy mysteries, but they always draw me in. Especially the book related ones.

      Delete
  2. I’ve been reading the Sue Grafton books since she first started writing them. They probably began in the 90’s! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From the 80s actually. =) I plan on it, thanks!

      Delete
  3. I love the Sue Grafton series, and have read most of them...but recently I added a "midway" book called K Is for Killer, which I haven't read before.

    Enjoy your week, and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to read all series in chronological (based on events not publication) order, so I've got a ways to go yet. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  4. While I usually enjoy historical mysteries, I wasn't a big fan of No Cure for the Dead. I really liked The Scroll of Kings though. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I'll see what I can get to. I might bump The Scroll of Kings up...

      Delete
  5. I agree with you re Better off Read. I'm on the road this week so I might be slow in approving comments. I hope you stop by to see my weekly updates.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment. I love to hear from you!

Comments on posts older than 6 days are moderated.