Sunday, July 29, 2018

It's Monday! What are you reading? 7/30/2018

Hosted by: Book Date

I didn't get my helicopter ride yet.  Apparently the company they've been using has been having some mechanical issues, so until they have everything fixed, the ride is on hold.  Since having a Thursday evening off took more than a month's notice, I'm a bit concerned about whether I'll be able to manage a future date with my work schedule.  We'll see.

Since my sister and BIL are unable to start work on the inside of their new house (tenants are still in residence), they've been getting straight to work with the outside.  All the previous shingling is being taken down to expose the original wood of this almost 120 year old house.  I'm not involved in any of the work for this, but it's been fun to watch, if crazy.

My older nephew had his first 4-H dog show this weekend.  While it took cajoling and encouragement and 4 hours, we eventually made it through (he only ran out in the middle of judging once).  He came home to video games, and the other two kiddos came home to try start their own training attempts with a couple of the other dogs.  I found it incredibly cute and amusing to watch them put the dogs through their paces, but no one else seemed to care much.  Of course there was also an open house that day that my mother was preparing a dish for, and the house stuff, so those may have been factors.

Anyway, I went to a game night that same day, and we played a card version of Oregon Trail.  It was fun and brought back fond memories of the computer game in elementary school, but we had a couple people wipe out from dysentery and one from snakebite.

On the reading/blogging side, I've been dragging my feet on this post because I accomplished so little reading this past week...

This week I finished reading:


The Boneless Mercies by April Genevieve Tucholke  - [My post] This was my first review book from Edelweiss, and I enjoyed it.  It involves Norse mythology and assassins (of a sort) and was different than anything else I've read lately.

Coyote Tales by Thomas King - This is the second book I've finished for the 12th annual Canadian Book Challenge.  I still have to post on this per challenge requirements, but haven't yet.

The Story Chapter 1 "Creation: The Beginning of Life as We Know It" and Chapter 2 "God Builds a Nation" read by Michael Blain-Rozgay and Allison Moffett - These are eAudio through the library's Hoopla subscription.  I saw something about this series on another blog post and decided to try it.  Apparently each chapter is about 30 minutes long.  They are supposed to be set up like a continuous story.  This means some biblical stories are skipped.  But so I'm finding these readings interesting.

I'm currently reading:


In audio (on CD), I've been listening to Moby Dick by Herman Melville (read by Paul Boehmer).  I haven't listened to as much as I should have this week.  I did listen to some discussion of the ship dynamics - how the captain, mates, and primary harpooners interact with each other, particularly around meals.  Also the mast heads have been discussed.  I just looked at a physical copy, though, and it seems I have not really made a dent in the book.  Oh, dear.

A Hard Day's Knight (Nightside, Bk 11) by Simon R. Green (library OverDrive ebook) - I'm enjoying this so far.  John has gone to London Proper to seek the Knights of the Round Table for advice on dealing with Excalibur.

Eye of the Shoal : a Fish-watcher's Guide to Life, the Ocean and Everything by Helen Scales (library hardcover) - So far this is interesting, despite a bit too much evolution talk.  It seems to tie in well with Moby Dick.

Up next:

 
Nothing has changed from last week here.  My reading has reached snail pace.

The Saturday Morning Murder (Michael Ohayon, Bk 1) by Batya Gur
The Silk Train Murder (Kondike Era Mystery, Bk 1) by Sharon Rowse
Who Moved My Goat Cheese? (Farm-to-Fork Mystery, Bk 1) by Lynn Cahoon
Murder at the Mansion (Victorian Village Mystery, Bk 1) by Sheila Connolly
Bannerless (Bannerless, Bk 1) by Carrie Vaughn
Cat About Town (Cat Cafe Mystery, Bk 1) by Cate Conte
The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker (book discussion book)
The Door to the Lost by Jaleigh Johnson
The Scroll of Kings (Lost Books, Bk 1) by Sarah Prineas
Frankenstein in Baghdad by Ahmed Saadawi; Translated by Jonathan Wright
Tricks for Free (InCryptid, Bk 7) by Seanan McGuire
Happy Cactus: Cacti, Succulents, and More

11 comments:

  1. I'm sad about your helicopter ride. I was looking forward to hearing about it! I hope it works out to reschedule.
    Have a great week!
    Valerie @ Cats Luv Coffee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was disappointed as well, but hopefully everything will work out. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you are so busy I'm not surprised reading is taking a back seat right now. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Busy is my way of life now. I had learned to work around that, I thought, but apparently my planning needs work. Have a great week!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Yes, Saturday was very full. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  4. It sounds like you have been busy. See what I read this month at Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Busy has become my norm, and reading/blogging are things I find I need to squeeze in.

      Delete
  5. Wow, it sounds like you’ve been busy. Sorry about the helicopter ride. That’s disappointing. I hope you enjoy your upcoming reads. Have a good week!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got impatient after I wrote this post and I read one of the MG books. I needed that.

      Delete
  6. Oh no on the ride. Hope things work out in the end!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment. I love to hear from you!

Comments on posts older than 6 days are moderated.