Monday, July 23, 2018

It's Monday! What are you reading? 7/23/2018

Hosted by: Book Date

Another week has passed.  My sister and BIL (who have been staying with us) finally signed for their new house...next door.  Now they just need to wait for the tenants to leave and get some basic reno/remodeling done and they will be moving out - with the 3 kiddos, 2 dogs, 1 cat, 2 guinea pigs, 2 birds, and 1 bearded dragon.  I love them, but I can't wait!  So close! I suspect this next month or two before things settle may be the hardest for me.

Earlier this summer I won a free helicopter ride over my hometown.  I plan to use it this week, so I'm super psyched!

On the reading side, most of what I read was short, but at least it feels like I've accomplished something...

This week I finished reading:

The Good, the Bad, and the Uncanny (Nightside, Bk 10) by Simon R. Green - [My post / re-read] I've already started book 11, A Hard Day's Knight.

Mary Flora BellThe Horrific True Story Behind an Innocent Girl Serial Killer by Nancy A. Veysey and Ryan Becker - [My post]

White Sand Blues (Ashley Grant, Bk 1) by Vicki Delany - [My post] The first book I've read for the 12th annual Canadian Book Challenge!

Dog Dish of Doom (Agent to the Paws, Bk 1) by E. J. Copperman - [My post] I look forward to reading book 2, Bird, Bath, and Beyond (I have a review copy).

Saving Fiona: The Story of the World's Most Famous Baby Hippo by Thane Maynard - [Goodreads] This children's story tells the story of premature hippo Fiona who was born at the Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden in early 2017.  A cute feel-good story.  The end includes facts about hippos.


I'm currently reading:

In audio (on CD), I've been listening to Moby Dick by Herman Melville (read by Paul Boehmer).  This week I heard an entire lecture on the ways whaling is a good, beneficial industry (sorry not buying it), heard a description of the ship and its set off for the upcoming 3 year journey, and been introduced to the ship officers.  The last part was particularly difficult for me to focus on, unfortunately.  I found my mind wandering throughout.

A Hard Day's Knight (Nightside, Bk 11) by Simon R. Green (library OverDrive ebook)

The Boneless Mercies by April Genevieve Tucholke (Edelweiss+ review copy ebook)

Eye of the Shoal : a Fish-watcher's Guide to Life, the Ocean and Everything by Helen Scales (library hardcover)

Coyote Tales by Thomas King (library Hoopla ebook) - American/Canadian author

The Story: Chapter 1 "Creation: The Beginning of Life as We Know It" - (library Hoopla eAudio) - I saw a later chapter on another blog on a previous Monday - I can't remember who/where - and decided to try it.

Up next:

 
I have returned yet more library books unread.  Some of the library books I still have out include (my apologies for the low-quality pic above):

The Saturday Morning Murder (Michael Ohayon, Bk 1) by Batya Gur
The Silk Train Murder (Kondike Era Mystery, Bk 1) by Sharon Rowse
Who Moved My Goat Cheese? (Farm-to-Fork Mystery, Bk 1) by Lynn Cahoon
Murder at the Mansion (Victorian Village Mystery, Bk 1) by Sheila Connolly
Bannerless (Bannerless, Bk 1) by Carrie Vaughn
Cat About Town (Cat Cafe Mystery, Bk 1) by Cate Conte
The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker (book discussion book)
The Door to the Lost by Jaleigh Johnson
The Scroll of Kings (Lost Books, Bk 1) by Sarah Prineas
Frankenstein in Baghdad by Ahmed Saadawi; Translated by Jonathan Wright
Tricks for Free (InCryptid, Bk 7) by Seanan McGuire
Happy Cactus: Cacti, Succulents, and More

10 comments:

  1. The helicopter ride sounds like fun. Have a good time! White Sand Blues sounds really good. In fact all of your books look good. Enjoy! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the problem... too many books that sound good. How do I choose?

      Delete
  2. How exciting to have your sister moving next door! Congrats on winning the helicopter ride - that would be so much fun! Lots of interesting titles on your reading list - here's what I'm reading this week: http://bit.ly/2Lht9Yb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good that they will be next door. My family is taking over the neighborhood. One set of my grandparents live next door on the other side. And a step cousin is living next door to the house my sister and BIL just bought.

      Delete
  3. Cool, a helicopter ride. I’d love to do that someday, even though plane rides sometimes make me throw up. I don’t know if helicopters are more or less bumpy. Have a great week!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never ridden in one before so I will find out. I generally okay in planes, except if I have a middle seat on the really long (15+ hr) flights I get slightly queasy.

      Delete
  4. You WON the helicopter ride? Wow. I don't have that kind of luck. I don't win anything. Can't wait to hear how it was!

    Valerie
    Cats Luv Coffee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, a free fun family day, and free raffle type thing (no strings), and now a free helicopter ride... all from one day. I'm very thankful.

      Delete
  5. How exciting they're moving just next door. That'll be so nice :) Fiona's book looks adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be especially great for the kids. And since they won't be in the same house anymore, we will all have our own space. =)

      Delete

Please feel free to comment. I love to hear from you!

Comments on posts older than 6 days are moderated.