Monday, July 2, 2018

It's Monday! What are you reading? 7/1/2018

Hosted by: Book Date

This week I finished reading:

Zero Waste: Simple Life Hacks to Drastically Reduce Your Trash by Shia Su - I've posted my thoughts here (Zero Waste), but basically some was interesting and potentially useful and some is not currently likely.

The King of Bones and Ashes (Witches of New Orleans, Bk 1) by J. D. Horn - I was interested in the second book, and of course I have to read a series in order.  I suspect this is a necessity in this instance because there are a lot of characters to familiarize oneself with.  I've posted my thoughts here (King of Bones and Ashes), but I have mixed feelings.

A Murder at Rosamund's Gate (Lucy Campion Mystery, Bk 1) by Susanna Calkins - This was a re-read.  Still enjoyed, although the past 5 years have slightly changed my reaction.  My newest post is here (Murder at Rosamund's Gate Re-read) and my original is here (Murder at Rosamund's Gate).

I'm currently reading:


In ebook format, I've been reading A is for Alibi (A Kinsey Millhone Novel, Bk 1) by Sue Grafton.  I think I've made less progress this week than last.  I'm at about midway through this, and I'm going to have to just set down my print books and pick up my phone or Kindle, because otherwise this isn't happening.

In print, I've been reading Better Off Read (Bookmobile Mystery, Bk 1) by Nora Page.  I did get a little further, but then I left my book at home one workday (hence The King of Bones and Ashes) and in my car overnight another evening (hence the re-read of The Murder at Rosamund's Gate).

In audio (on CD), I've been listening to Moby Dick by Herman Melville.  Apparently I wanted to continue the sea theme that I started with Master and Commander.  Some parts are interesting or amusing, some parts I have to strain to keep focused or I miss chunks.  And some parts I think I need to pull my print copy (never read) off the shelf and check on what they actually said.  I'm currently in a sermon of "Jonah and the Great Fish" being given by some whaling sailor with a very different perspective than any I've heard before.

I started in print, From the Charred Remains (Lucy Campion Mystery, Bk 2) by Susanna Calkins.  Lucy has come across another murder (this time of a foreign man), but now she is in new circumstances, and several aspects of her life are in flux.


Up next:


It was my turn to select the book for one of my discussion groups.  After gathering the input of my fellow group members, I decided on Ginny Moon by Benjamin Ludwig.  Now the discussion is approaching in a week and I haven't read it yet.


Other books I have through the library (and may or may not get to) include:

The Grey Bastards (Lot Lands, Bk 1) by Jonathan French
No Cure for the Dead (Florence Nightingale Mystery, Bk 1) by Christine Trent
How to Fall in Love with a Man Who Lives in a Bush by Emmy Abrahamson

6 comments:

  1. Zero Waste sounds good. I’m currently trying to reduce the amount of plastic I use. Have a great week!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Zero Waste is all about ways to reduce plastic (and be sustainable and vegan, but mostly the plastic bit...)

      Delete
  2. A is for Alibi is on my Kindle, too. I really want to finally start reading this series. I've heard so many good things about it. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard great things, and I am enjoying it. But I'm only reading it when I can manage it at work (between helping people at a public service desk), which makes time... tricky.

      Anyway, hope you have a great weekend too!

      Delete
  3. Better Off Read looks fun!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I just finished it today. It started slow for me, but it picks up. And the animal characters are adorable.

      Delete

Please feel free to comment. I love to hear from you!

Comments on posts older than 6 days are moderated.