Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Reading and Life

When I started this blog, I chose it's name based on what books and reading meant for me.  My life is so very different than it was then.  And yet, the name still does apply.  I do not read nearly as much or often as I did, but reading remains a comfort when life becomes hectic, chaotic, and exhausting.

I began this blog as a grad student.  It has been with me as I graduated and faced the unemployment of the "overqualified" job candidate.  It was with me when I worked a manual job that I strongly disliked just to have any sort of income.  Books to the Rescue was there as I finally managed to began a job in a library, though at the lowest possible position, and as I raised through the ranks until I finally obtained a full time position with benefits that used my degree.  I've been blogging through a couple moves, the loss of pets (including one of my cats to DKA), and some rather stressful family drama (including a mentally ill father and one of the kiddos being diagnosed with autism,  and another with sensory processing issues, my sister's family attempting to sell their house and actually doing so, etc.).  I've managed (despite ridiculous financial situations) to visit the UK, Dominican Republic, Mexico, and Philippines all while maintaining (sort of) this blog.  And even as this blog has been (reluctantly, it seems) hanging along through all these life changes and events, so have its namesakes - books.  

The thing is, while books still come to the rescue, my relationship with them (along with my tastes and interests) have changed.  This has made blogging much more difficult to sustain.  But we are in the midst of Summer Reading and I miss my blog and (let us be honest - I miss reading and talking about reading).  So I want to give participating in the "It's Monday! meme (currently hosted by https://bookdate.blogspot.com/) a try again.  I haven't done so since 2014.

I'm currently reading Night of the Living Deed by E.J. Copperman in print.  I'm reading A is for Alibi by Sue Grafton in ebook.  I'm listening on CD to Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian (narrated by Simon Vance).  Partially started, but currently put aside, I have: Zero Waste by Shia Su (print) and Quiet by Susan Cain (digital audio).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. I love to hear from you!

Comments on posts older than 6 days are moderated.