Monday, June 18, 2018

It's Monday! What are you reading? 6/18/2018

Hosted by: Book Date



This week I finished:

 Night of the Living Deed (A Haunted Guesthouse Mystery, Bk 1) by E.J. Copperman and The Girl Who Ignored Ghosts (The Unbelievables, Bk 1) by K.C. Tansley, both in print.

I've been meaning to read Night of the Living Deed (personal copy) for quite some time.  I read an enjoyed the first in E.J. Copperman's Asperger's Mystery series, The Question of the Missing Head in 2015, and I read the first two Double Feature Mysteries published under his Jeffrey Cohen name several years ago.  In any case, I enjoyed Night of the Living Deed, but I did have to put it down frequently as life took over.

I must have met this K.C. Tansley at some point - I had a bookmark for The Girl Who Ignored Ghosts - but I don't remember when.  I finally followed up and requested the title through Interlibrary Loan.  Once I started it, I zipped through the story.  It does have a bit of a cliffhanger, though the immediate issue is resolved.  Now I am waiting to read the second book in the series, The Girl Who Saved Ghosts.

Yesterday, I read Wicked and the Wallflower (The Bareknuckle Bastards, Bk 1) by Sarah MacLean, also in print. I managed to purchase a copy a little early after hearing Sarah MacLean speak.  I haven't read much romance lately, so I was looking forward to this.  I enjoyed the story, I look forward to more of the series, and to more romance over all.  This is definitely a genre I need more when things go crazy IRL.
I'm currently reading:


In ebook format, I've been reading A is for Alibi (A Kinsey Millhone Novel, Bk 1) by Sue Grafton.  This is my first time reading these, and I figure it is about time to start since the series is as done as it will be.  So far I'm enjoying the book, both for the actual story, and while catching the tidbits that date this book (originally published in the early 80s).

I've been listening (on CD) to Master and Commander (Aubrey-Maturin, Bk 1) by Patrick O'Brian and narrated by Simon Vance.  I was listening to an interview with Simon Vance, and this series came up.  He mentioned that it is OOP, with the official estate version being narrated by someone else.  However, he added that the version he narrated is potentially available at libraries.  I immediately looked into this and found this first book at my local library.  So far I am enjoying it.  Though much of the nautical terminology and description goes way over my head, I'm particularly finding the characters and their interactions with each other enjoyable.

In print, I've been reading (off and on) Zero Waste: Simple Life Hacks to Drastically Reduce Your Trash by Shia Su.  I've rather gotten stuck in the recipes (for housecleaning and toiletry products), so I'm going to need to just push through.  Conservation/Environmentalism is a subject I'm generally interested in and would like to apply to my life, but perhaps I'm not quite on board enough to actually live the life demonstrated in this book.  We'll see how the second half goes.

Up next:

The Hills Have Spies (Family Spies, Bk 1) by Mercedes Lackey

6 comments:

  1. What a great variety of books! I have been getting curious about Wicked and the Wallflower but have a bunch of review books to read before I can satisfy my curiosity. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wicked and the Wallflower was fun, but possibly more so than usual because I had the chance to hear some of the author's comments about her research for the book and so forth.

      Delete
  2. I read Night of the Living Deed and really liked it. I've been wanting to read Sue Grafton's series. It looks so good. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my worst faults is failure to recycle. I don’t even take bags to the grocery. Your book this week is a good reminder to me to do better.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment. I love to hear from you!

Comments on posts older than 6 days are moderated.