Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Winterkill

Title: Winterkill

Author: Kate A. Boorman [Website][Twitter]

Publisher: Amulet

Series: Winterkill, Bk 1

ISBN: 9781419712357

Length: 319 pages

Obtained: ARC from ALA (2014)

Why this book?:

It looked interesting when I grabbed it (autographed), and continued to intrigue me even when I decided the number of books I own is overwhelming and some need to be donated rather than collecting dust. I forgot the book I was reading downstairs and did not want to rile the puppy by going down, so I grabbed this one.

Comments:

Winterkill kept me reading late into the night.  It seemed similar to a dystopian but had more of a historical or alternate history feel. One group of people has become isolated in a their own little world with their own world for 8 generations during the expansion in the Canadian west from historical pilgrimage.  The people of this little settling fear the outside to an enormous extent, and Emmeline, who is drawn to the outside by her curiosity and otherness is continually risking trouble and punishment from the leaders.  Still Emmeline cannot resist her dreams and seeking spirit, venturing further and asking questions that lead her further into danger.

Note: I just found out that this is the first book in a trilogy.  The second and third books are titled Darkthaw and Heartfire.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. I love to hear from you!

Comments on posts older than 6 days are moderated.