Sunday, August 23, 2015

Little Pretty Things


Title: Little Pretty Things

Author: Lori Rader-Day [Website][Facebook][Twitter]

Publisher: Seventh Street Books

ISBN: 9781633880047

Length: 300 pages

Obtained: Library copy

Why this book/Comments: 

I received a poster of Summer Reads that I wanted to post at work.  I was going through the list and this was one of three still on order.  It sounded like an interesting mystery, and I wanted to know when it was cataloged to add the call number, so I put it on hold.

When it came in I went back and forth about whether I should read it, but finally decided to try.  I was hardly in when I started feeling dread.  I thought I knew some of the mystery, and I don't like that sort of thing.  But I had already started, so I pushed on.  As I continued reading I started thinking about how the author's name sounded familiar.  And I realized why.

I heard Lori Rader-Day speak on a panel at the 2015 Printer's Row Lit Fest (I looked it up for this post, and the panel was called "The Characters You Love To Hate").  At the time I had decided her books were probably too dark for me, and I wasn't going to read this.

Now I found myself in a position where the books are still darker than I like (touching on subject matter I find literally nauseating), but I'm reading one anyway.

So oh, I knew what was coming long before Juliet did (though she wasn't head-slap stupid about it so much as a combination of naiveté at the time and not seeing the big picture because she was in the small part of it).  And I knew who (or partially).  The story had me churning a bit.  But it was good and well written.  And I will probably read more, but I need something light to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. I love to hear from you!

Comments on posts older than 6 days are moderated.