Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Catch-up, Pt 4


Title: Horse of a Different Killer
Author: Laura Morrigan [Website][Facebook][Twitter]
Publisher: Berkley Prime Crime Mystery
ISBN: 9780425257210
Obtained: Library copy

I enjoy this series, though once again I found myself scraping my brain to remember what happened in the first two stories leading up to it.  This time around Grace's sister is suspected of murder, Grace's usual sources are unavailable to her for one reason or another, and she must scramble to find the truth... and a missing possibly mistreated horse along the way.

I look forward to reading more of this series in the future.


Title: Texts From Mittens: A Cat Who Has an Unlimited Data Plan and Isn't Afraid to Use It
Author: Angie Bailey [Website][Website/Book Facebook][Website/Book Twitter]
Publisher: Harlequin
ISBN: 9780373893225
Obtained: Library copy

Very cute.  Parts were funny and needed to be shared.  Parts were silently amusing.  And parts were okay, moving on...


Title: Through the Woods
Author: Emily Carroll [Website (scroll down for "About" section)][Publisher Page][Twitter]
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
ISBN: 9781442465954
Obtained: Library copy 

This is a series of stories all featuring a "through the woods" element.

The thing about this book is that you need to pay attention to the recommended ages.  Because my 7yo nephew came to look at it with me, and I was reading aloud (just because I enjoy it).  He didn't understand the first story (and I didn't explain), and the second story creeped him out so bad he had nightmares.  When he saw the cover nearly a month later he called it the "bad book".  So FYI, it is intended for "Ages 14 and up".

But back to reading aloud, it works wonderfully with a low slow tone.  I loved the atmosphere and flow of the stories.  The one story I didn't care for was "The Nesting Place".  Ugh.  But otherwise the stories shared a kind of cool and creepy feel, with corresponding images.

Title: Day Shift
Author: Charlaine Harris [Website][Facebook][IMDb]
Publisher: ACE Books
Series: Midnight, Texas, Bk 2
ISBN: 9780425263198
Length: 307 Pages
Obtained: Library copy

I enjoyed this book, and Midnight Texas.  This is a multi-perspective story, but it works.

Once again, though I am left knowing I really need to read and/or re-read some of Charlaine Harris's other series.  I especially need a refresher on the Sookie Stackhouse series, because a couple more came out in this story and some of the story line actually reflected things that had happened in the Sookie series.  But I also need to read the Aurora Teagarden books (which I never did) and finish the Lily Bard books.

Title: Garden of Lies

Author: Amanda Quick aka Jayne Ann Krentz [Website][Facebook] aka Jayne Castle

Publisher: G. P. Putnam's Sons

ISBN: 9780399165153

Length: 359 pages

Obtained: Library copy

Why this book?: I read everything new by AQ/JAK/JC

Comments:

The heroine's name is Ursula.  That is what first struck me about the book.  When I hear Ursula, I don't think historical English woman (though I suppose that suits).  I think Disney villain - one that creeps me out more than most other Disney villains.  Once I pushed past that I was able to continue with and enjoy the story.  It has many of the same characteristics that make AQ/JAK/JC books comfort reads, so it was a feel good story.  Nothing else especially stood out as being something I should mention though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. I love to hear from you!

Comments on posts older than 6 days are moderated.