Monday, April 27, 2015

Catch-up, Pt 1

Life got busy and complicated and my blog suffered for it.  But I have still been reading.  I'm going to try to remember everything (except the kids books).  I'll write a little something about the books if I can (such as if I jotted notes down, or if I read it recently).  I have to do this in multiple parts because I'm limited by the tags.

Here we go...

Title: Prayers for Sale

Author: Sandra Dallas [Website][Facebook]

This was a book club read.  I had the following notes saved on my phone...


I enjoyed. Historical fiction can be so interesting, and this fit the bill. Stretched between the Civil War, the Depression, and Mining. Plus the Colorado Mountain setting, the old teaching the young, the storytelling, and the friendship aspects... They combination appealed to me. There was both sorrow and joy, but overall I enjoyed the book and look forward to trying more by Sandra Dallas. I discovered at the end that some of the characters can be found in other books so I intend to go back and discover these additional stories.





Title: Trust No One

Author: Jayne Ann Krentz [Website][Facebook] aka Jayne Castle aka Amanda Quick

Publisher: G. P. Putnam's Sons

ISBN: 9780399165139

Length: 327 pages

Obtained: Library copy

Why this book?:

It's JAK.

Comments:

I like Grace and Julius. ... and that is as far as I got on this book in my draft posts from early February.

Title: The Curl Up and Dye [Goodreads]

Author: Sharon Sala [Website][Facebook][Twitter] aka Dinah McCall

Publisher: Sourcebooks

Series: Follows the novella Color Me Bad

ISBN: 9781402283970

Length: 288 pages

Obtained: Library ebook copy

Why this book?:

It was the January title for the discussion group I'm leading.

Comments: Also as far as I had gotten in a draft post from early February.  LilyAnn has been living a tedious life, until one day she gets a wake-up call and starts making some changes.

Is the south (southern USA) really like this?  Every time I read a book about small town southern life I wonder.

Title: The Tusk That Did the Damage

Author: Tania James [Website][Facebook][Twitter]

Obtained: Free ARC from ALA Midwinter Conference

Why this book?:

I couldn't resist the cover, the title, or the little bit that I read of the blurb (the first sentence or two).

Comments:

It wasn't exactly what I expected, especially with the multiple perspectives.  But that didn't make it less interesting.  As I was adding this my nephew (7 yo) came up behind me and read the title.  I told him that some people do horrible things and kill elephants and rhinos for their tusks/horns.  He says, "Can't they just cut them off without killing them?" I say, "Cutting them off can kill them.  People don't need that stuff."  He thinks and responds, "Why don't they just cut them off dead ones?" (meaning those who've died of natural causes).  He was called away before I could respond...  ::sigh::

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. I love to hear from you!

Comments on posts older than 6 days are moderated.