Sunday, July 27, 2014

Friendship Bread

Title: Friendship Bread

Author: Darien Gee [Website][Facebook][Twitteraka Mia King [Website][Facebook][Twitter]

Publisher: Ballantine Books

Series: Avalon, Illinois

ISBN: 9780345525352

Length: 363 pages + "Amish Friendship Bread Recipes and Tips" + "A Reader's Guide" (Including "A Conversation with Darien Gee" and "Questions and Topics for Discussion"

Obtained: Library book club book

Why this book?:

It was being discussed as the library's July online book discussion book.  I'm about to take on the task of running this discussion, so I thought I should read the book.  Besides, it sounded interesting enough.

Comments:

I got into this pretty quickly, though the actual reading around my schedule took longer than I would have liked.  There were quite a few characters to track, but they added - you know - character.

I'm going to try to keep this vague to lessen spoilers...

Anyway, parts of the story made me uncomfortable.  Namely, Julia's negativity toward her husband and Mark's tottering on the edge of messing things up.  Parts made me think.  Such as I couldn't help but wonder as the "aunt," how, in Livvy's position, what would have happened with me and my relationship with my sister?

Anyway, I especially enjoyed the end, which came together in a rush with hope and goodness and forgiveness and all those good qualities that make you feel warm and content.

I cannot wait to try starting some friendship bread of my own.  I vaguely remember us having some at one point in my childhood, but it is time to make new and fresh memories.  And I hope this is something I can share with the kiddos.

Oh, and I definitely want to read The Avalon Ladies Scrapbooking Society, which follows this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. I love to hear from you!

Comments on posts older than 6 days are moderated.