Monday, May 19, 2014

The Cuckoo's Calling

Title: The Cuckoo's Calling

Author: Robert Galbraith [Website] aka J. K. Rowling [Website] aka Joanne Rowling

Publisher: Mulholland Books

Series: Cormoran Strike, Bk 1

ISBN: 9780316206846

Obtained: Library copy

Why this book?:

Um.. I heard the fuss about the exposed author.  I was eager to read a mystery by said author.  Plus the reviews (in print) were positive and it sounded like a story I'd enjoy.  As for why now, I had finally checked it out, and finally grabbed it off the bookshelf.

Comments:

Cormoran Strike is a private investigator - not a very successful one (people just don't want to pay their bills - especially for answers they don't like!).  Robin is his new temporary assistant.  Both of them are great characters.  I wish I was as organized as Robin and as thorough as Cormoran (I try to be, but wow).

Anyway, I've been reading quite a few cozy mysteries lately.  As much as I love them, the amateur sleuths do tend to jump to conclusions quite a bit.  Cormoran, on the other hand, worked on collecting all the details and perspectives in a very methodical way.  He made his deductions based on the full information ha had available and not until he had all the pieces.  I greatly appreciated the change in pace (perhaps I should read more PI mystery books).

Cormoran has a mess of his personal life, and while that was somewhat of a distraction, it didn't overwhelm the story.  I so appreciated that. 

I was also pleased (though not surprised) with how the story ended, and I look forward to reading the next book in the series, The Silkworm (due out this June 2014).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. I love to hear from you!

Comments on posts older than 6 days are moderated.