Friday, June 10, 2011

Web of Lies


Title: Web of Lies

Author: Jennifer Estep

Publisher: Pocket Books Urban Fantasy

Copyright Date: 2010

Print Date: May 2010

ISBN: 9781439147993

Pages: 400

Series: 2nd in the Elemental Assassin series

Book Description (from back cover):

CURIOSITY IS DEFINITELY GOING TO GET ME DEAD ONE OF THESE DAYS. PROBABLY REAL SOON.

I'M GIN BLANCO. You might know me as the Spider, the most feared assassin in the South. I'm retired now, but trouble still has a way of finding me. Like the other day when two punks tried to rob my popular barbecue joint, the Pork Pit. Then there was the barrage of gunfire on the restaurant. Only, for once, those kill shots weren't aimed at me. They were meant for Violet Fox. Ever since I agreed to help Violet and her grandfather protect their property from an evil coal-mining tycoon. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm really retired. So is Detective Donovan Caine. The only honest cop in Ashland is having a hard time reconciling his attraction to me with his Boy Scout mentality. And I can barely keep my hands off his sexy body. What can I say? I'm a Stone elemental with a little Ice magic thrown in, but my heart isn't made of solid rock. Luckily, Gin Blanco always gets her man ... dead or alive.
Comments:

I can't afford to buy new books, and the library didn't have this. So I put in a purchase suggestion (pointing out that they already had the 3rd book, Venom), and voila. I could finally move on with the series. And move on I did. Like Spider's Bite, I really enjoyed Web of Lies. The characters are great, Gin included. The storyline is interesting. And I'm always hoping Gin gets through.

The only thing I didn't care for as much was Detective Donovan Caine. I kinda wished Gin would just get over him, open her eyes, and look around. Because there was a much better guy in the background. The moment he (the other guy... don't want to say too much) was introduced I thought he was perfect for her.

But the story is moving on. I already checked out Venom and read it as well (post to come).

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review. I never think of putting in a request - great advice.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment. I love to hear from you!

Comments on posts older than 6 days are moderated.