Monday, March 15, 2010

Sprinkle with Murder


Title: Sprinkle with Murder

Author: Jenn McKinlay (Jennifer McKinlay Orf) (Also writes as Lucy Lawrence)

Publisher: Berkley Prime Crime Mystery

Copyright Date: 2010

Print Date: March 2010

ISBN: 9780425233429

Pages: 215 + Recipes

Series: 1st in the Cupcake Bakery Mystery series




Book Description (from back cover):

Cupcakes to Die For
Melanie Cooper and Angie DeLaura are finally living out their dream as the proud owners of the Fairy Tale Cupcakes bakery. Their first big order is a sweet deal, too — five hundred cupcakes for a fashion designer's wedding. The only sour note is the demanding bridezilla who insists on original recipes for the cupcakes.

When Mel stumbles upon the bride-to-be dead-by-cupcake, she immediately becomes the prime suspect. The police believe that a secret ingredient in the cupcakes caused her death. To save Mel and their business, the ladies need to find the real murderer — before the cupcake killer ices someone else...
Comments:

This was a quick, light, fun cozy mystery.

I hadn't realized there was such a thing as a cupcake bakery (as opposed to a general bakery). But the Fairy Tale Cupcakes bakery sounded like it had great products and great atmosphere. Too bad it's fictional. I liked Mel... The chubby kid who made strong and lasting friendships. Loyal, hardworking, and determined to achive her goals. With a little childhood crush on her best friend's brother. And the other characters were likeable as well.

I read a library copy, but I may have to get my own copy (at some point). In fact, the biggest problem with it is that it just came out this month...which means I have to wait to read the next in the series, Buttercream Bump Off (next January!!!).

2 comments:

  1. This sounds lke a cute series. I've heard of cupcake bakeries in big cities. Are you going to try any of the recipes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pretty much avoid the kitchen whenever I can. My sister bakes cupcakes though. Maybe I'll convince her to try one of the recipes.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment. I love to hear from you!

Comments on posts older than 6 days are moderated.