Sunday, February 14, 2010

Mini-Reviews

I've never done this before, so we'll see how it goes.


Title: Dead Witch Walking
Author: Kim Harrison
ISBN: 9780060572969
Pages: 416
Series: 1st in the Hollows series
Where I got this book: Checked out from Library
Why Now?: I've been hearing good things about this author and series for a while, and it was finally time.
Brief Description: Rachel's a witch on the run from a death threat while trying to make her own way and get the authorities off her back.
My thoughts: It was a fast-paced read that left me interested in more.


Title: The Good, The Bad, and the Undead
Author: Kim Harrison
ISBN: 0060572973
Pages: 453
Series: 2nd in the Hollows series
Where I got this book: Own - Received through PaperBackSwap Game
Why Now?: I'd just finished the 1st book. I like to read series books together.
Brief Description: Rachel's been requested (okay, more like prodded) to assist in finding a serial killer. She sees this as an opportunity to get the guy she holds responsible for a number of wrongs.
My thoughts: The series may move in a direction I don't like, but for now it still has my interest. This book has more insight into Rachel's past, demons, and vampires (in particular, Ivy). Oh, and pixies.


Title: Real Vamps Don't Drink O-Neg
Author: Tawny Taylor
ISBN: 9780758215093
Where I got this book: Owned - PaperBackSwap
Why Now?: I had offered it in a PBS Virtual Box and needed to get it in the mail.
Brief Description: Sophie Hahn's best friend is acting different and seems sick. She has to save him from being drained by his vampire (Lamia) wife. So she hooks up with a vamp of another type in attempt to find some Biblical relics that may help.
My thoughts: I hated it. For a number of reasons, including the sex scenes I glimpsed in the process of skipping over them looked more like what I'd expect to find in erotica, not PR. But also because the characters weren't all that likable. Ric tells Sophie to trust him repeatedly. And she repeatedly does. But he isn't trustworthy, which makes him a jerk and her an idiot. IMO. Anyway, I only finished it because it's so hard for me not to finish a book.


Title: The Last Apprentice: Curse of the Bane
Author: Joseph Delaney
ISBN: 9780060766214
Pages: 455 + some entries in "The Journal of Thomas J. Ward"
Series: 2nd in the Last Apprentice series, aka The Wardstone Chronicles
Where I got this book: Checked out from the Library
Why Now?: I'd recently read and enjoyed the 1st in the series.
Brief Description: Tom Ward and his master (the Spook) will finally face down the Bane of Priestown (and the County). The Spook had been previously been unsuccessful at this, so how could this time be any different?
My thoughts: Another enjoyable read by Joseph Delaney. I can't believe it took me this long to find this series. Oh, and I appreciated learning more about Tom's parents (and therefore Tom's background).


Title: The Last Apprentice: Night of the Soul Stealer
Author: Joseph Delaney
ISBN: 9780060766245
Pages: 489 + some entries in "The Journal of Thomas J. Ward"
Series: 3rd in the Last Apprentice series, aka The Wardstone Chronicles
Where I got this book: Checked out from the Library
Why Now?: I'm reading through the series. Hope to get my hands on the 4th soon...
Brief Description: Tom Ward, the Spook, and Alice travel toward their new winter location(s). Tom will finally learn more about the Spook's own past (including his prejudice regarding girls with pointy shoes). And why is it so dark (as in evilness and badness) in that area lately?
My thoughts: The continuing insights into the Spook's history are interesting. Each book has the "WARNING: NOT TO BE READ AFTER DARK" notice, and I'm enjoying discovering just what horror Tom will encounter on the "ESPECIALLY PAGE __" part. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. I love to hear from you!

Comments on posts older than 6 days are moderated.