Friday, November 27, 2009

Ruined



Title: Ruined

Author: Paula Morris

Publisher: Point

Copyright Date: 2009

Print Date: August 2009

ISBN: 9780545042154

Pages: 309

Book Description: (from dust jacket):


WELCOME to NEW ORLEANS:
CITY of VOODOO and BEAUTY.
OF HURRICANES and HAUNTINGS.

Rebecca couldn't feel more out of place in New Orleans, where she comes to spend the year while her dad is away on business. She's staying in a creepy old house with her Aunt Claudia, who reads tarot cards for a living. And at the snooty prep school, a pack of filthy-rich girls treat Rebecca like she's invisible. Only gorgeous, unavailable Anton Grey seems to give Rebecca the time of day, but she wonders if he's got a hidden agenda.

Then one night, in Lafayette Cemetery, Rebecca makes a friend. Sweet, mysterious Lisette is eager to talk to Rebecca, and to show her the nooks and crannies of New Orleans. There's just one catch.

Lisette is a ghost.

A ghost with a deep, dark secret, and a serious score to settle.

As Rebecca learns more from her ghost friend — and as she begins to trust Anton Grey — she also uncovers startling truths about her own history. Will Rebecca be able to right the wrongs of the past or has everything been ruined beyond repair?



Comments:

I heard good things about this book, I obtained a library copy and... I had a couple false starts before I managed to get into it. Once I got past the somewhat slow beginning, it was an interesting book. I've never been to New Orleans, but I could imagine parts of it from the story. It was interesting reading a post-Katrina New Orleans book. And of course the ghost thing and the back-story behind the ghost were interesting as well. Yellow fever, murder, curses, and secrets...

4 comments:

  1. I've had a few like that, but I was hooked on this one immediately. Maybe it was my mood. ;) I wasn't expecting it either. Glad it turned out to be a good experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to read this book. Every time I see it I am reminded... I really want to read this book :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. J. Kaye - Normally, false starts just mean I should read it when I'm in the right mood. And then all's well. But I had a time limit with this one and had to rush myself a bit.

    Sheila - Glad my review could be a reminder for you. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jo, I'll be joining you soon. In a few weeks, I'll be a regular at the library. :) Also "Strange Angels" has arrived, so let me know when your copy arrives!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment. I love to hear from you!

Comments on posts older than 6 days are moderated.