Saturday, April 12, 2014

Mayhem at the Orient Express

Title: Mayhem at the Orient Express

Author: Kylie Logan [Website][Facebook][Twitter] aka Casey Daniels [Website][Facebook][Twitter] aka Miranda Bliss aka Zoe Daniels aka Constance Laux aka Connie Deka aka Connie Lane aka Connie Laux

Publisher: Berkley Prime Crime Mystery

Series: League of Literary Ladies, Bk 1

ISBN: 9780425257753

Length: 282 pages

Obtained: Library copy

Why this book?:

A cozy mystery featuring "literary ladies," at title referencing a classic cozy mystery, and a cat on the cover.  How could I resist?

Comments:

I enjoy pretty much any book that involves books, but those that parallel a classic work seem to have an extra touch of fun.  I haven't read Agatha Christie's Murder on the Orient Express (yet), but I know enough of the story that I could see those parallels.  And if you aren't familiar with the story, teh relevant parts are discussed.  But this is more than just an "inspired by" book.  It also has book discussion.  And I love that part as well.

Now the part that annoyed me is the secrecy of the main character, Bea.  I understand she's getting away and doesn't want her business leaked all over town.  She certainly doesn't want it to be spread beyond that.  She's been the victim of a stalker before, and she has a secret, apparently high-profile identity (and while the reader is not specifically told what that identity is, you are given abundant and obvious clues).  But despite all the validity of her wanting privacy and normalcy, she needs to learn to trust.  I am a nosy (I want to know what is going on) and open (I will talk about my life to friends and family.  I don't hold back because of the stigma of the situation.) person, both.  I can keep your secrets, but I dislike ones kept from me.  And I feel strongly that family and/or friends (if you aren't close to your family) should be kept in the loop.

Anyway, that's a personal quirk that nagged throughout the book, but it didn't detract from me enjoying the story or characters.  I look forward to reading more of the series and have, in fact, already read book 2, A Tale of Two Biddies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. I love to hear from you!

Comments on posts older than 6 days are moderated.