Monday, September 30, 2013

Seven for a Secret

Title: Seven for a Secret

Author: Lindsay Faye

Publisher: Amy Einhorn Books

Series: Timothy Wilde Mystery, Bk 2

ISBN: 9780399158384

Length: "Selected Flash Terminology" + 437 pages + "Historical Afterword"

Obtained: Library Copy

Why this book?:

My boss brought this autographed back from ALA, offered it  and it looked intriguing, so I decided to try it.  But first I read the first book in the series, The Gods of Gotham.  And since I really enjoyed that one I definitely had to read this one.

Comments:

It's been too long (about 1 1/2 months) since I read this, so my recollection of specific events has faded.  I apologize for any vagueness.

While the first book was focused on the prejudices against the Irish and religious differences, this one is focused on the prejudices towards and horrors committed against African-Americans in the supposedly "free" North.

Timothy is, when he thinks about it, more of the abolitionist persuasion.  So when confronted with the outrageous, but apparently legal, "recapturing" of free slaves that are purported as runaways, he has to take action.  Even if this action gets him into more trouble than he bargained for, Timothy will fight for his friends, his honor, his principles...and others' rights.  And if his still new position among the still new "Copper Stars" is jeopardized - well, he'll use it anyway.

I definitely hope to see more of this series and author.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. I love to hear from you!

Comments on posts older than 6 days are moderated.