Saturday, February 9, 2013

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making

Title: The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making

Author: Catherynne M. Valente (Read by author)

Publisher: BrillianceAudio on Compact Disc

Series: Fairyland, Bk 1

ISBN: 9781455875641

Length: 6 discs; 7 hours 16 minutes

Obtained: Library copy

Comments: I heard such great things about this book, and it sounded right up my alley so I had to try it. And of course what better way to experience a fairy-fantastical tale but by listening to it, so I requested and waited for my library to purchase the audiobook. I'm not even sure where to start when it comes to explaining my reactions towards the book.

The titles are those long meandering types, this was actually fun. There is SO MUCH description. While this rather worked for the story, I'm not especially fond of description. I get impatient with it going on and on, so I personally found that a bit trying.

But the main thing? The story quickly became SO CREEPY. I had trouble starting it back up at one point. For quite some time really. But it was holding up the waiting list I have for audio books to read, so I pressed on. I can't say I loved this book the way so many others seem to have.

But by the end I accepted it for all that it is, and I plan to read - I mean listen to - the second book, The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There. I suppose I ought to also read the prequel, The Girl Who Ruled Fairyland—For a Little While, but I'm not sure I really want to.

Overall my feelings toward this book are mixed.  I enjoyed this book in a very hesitant and somewhat fearful way.

2 comments:

  1. Every time I read "A Girl Who..." title, I smile. So many offshoots that branch out in the wildest directions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my favorite childhood books was The Girl Who Owned a City by O.T. Nelson. So yeah, I'll agree with them shooting in the wildest directions.

      Delete

Please feel free to comment. I love to hear from you!

Comments on posts older than 6 days are moderated.