Thursday, May 24, 2012

...3 cups of cozy mysteries...

Fire Engine Dead (Museum Mystery, Bk 3) by Sheila Connolly (library copy) –

This was another enjoyable addition to the museum mystery series (preceded by Fundraising the Dead and Let's Play Dead).  I like Nell as a character, of course.  But I also enjoy reading about the museum and her jobs in it, first as a fundraiser and now as the president.  There was a point in time when I considered going into museum studies instead of library information science, so it has special interest for me.  It also makes me want to visit the local historical society.  Unfortunately, the local historical society is only open a few hours on Saturdays… not very convenient with schedules.  There's apparently a short story in this series in ebook format called "Dead Letters" that I need to read.  I couldn't find the title to book 4 in the series, but I want to read it.

Little Shop of Homicide (Devereaux's Dime Store, Bk 1) by Denise Swanson (library copy) -

I understand Denise Swanson has a very popular cozy series (Scumble River), but I haven't read any of them yet.  This was a chance to try her writing with a new series instead of stepping into a long one.  Plus I heard great things.  It wasn't quite as cozy as I expected in regards to the romance angle.  Not that I had a problem with it; I read romance too.  Just something I noticed.  In any case, I did enjoy it, and I look forward to more.  Update: Next in the series is, I believe, Nickeled and Dimed to Death.  It's supposed to be available early March, 2013.

Murder Buys a T-shirt (Haunted Souvenir Shop Mystery, Bk 1) by Christy Fifield aka Christy Evans aka Christina F. York (library copy) -

My schedule has been crazy busy, so it took me FOREVER to sit down and finish this.  It was interesting.  I liked the setting, the characters, etc.  By far the best part of the book was Glory's parrot Bluebeard.  And I guessed who was the bad guy fairly early, but that was okay since Glory wasn't being incredibly obtuse about it.  Anyway, I'm not sure that the haunted part of the story is necessary, and the ending still holds questions about that aspect.  I guess that's what a series is for.  I'm sure the next book will have more details.  Update: It appears to be due out in Dec. this year (2012) and titled Murder Hooks a Mermaid.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. I love to hear from you!

Comments on posts older than 6 days are moderated.