Sunday, January 10, 2010

Tempted


Title: Tempted

Author(s): P.C. Cast + Kristin Cast

Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin

Copyright Date: 2009

Print Date: November 2009

ISBN: 9780312567484

Pages: 319

Series: 6th in the House of the Night series

Book Description (from back cover):

Dark secrets and unspoken suspicions come between Zoey and Stevie Rae, putting their friendship — and the House of Night — at risk.

After Zoey Redbird and her gang have banished Kalona and Neferet from Tulsa, you'd think they'd catch a break. But with Zoey and her sexy warrior Stark both recovering from a brush with death, and the fledglings struggling to deal with the fallout from Neferet's reign of terror, a break is just not in the forecast. Zoey is haunted by her confusing yet elemental connection with A-ya, the ancient Cherokee maiden who was the only human able to tempt Kalona's body and soul. How will A-ya's pull on her affect Zoey's ability to resist the dangerously seductive immortal?

Meanwhile, Stevie Rae, with her super red-vamp powers, always thought she could handle the stuff she's been keeping from her BFF. But the mysterious, threatening force lurking in the tunnels under the Tulsa Depot is spreading. Stevie Rae won't confide where she's been and what she's been doing, and Zoey is beginning to wonder just how much she can trust the person she always thought would have her back.

Will their choices destroy them and will darkness consume the House of Night? Find out in this spectacular next installment in the bestselling House of Night series.



Comments:

I reviewed the first two books in this series, Marked and Betrayed, but the third book, Chosen really frustrated me; I decided not to review it or the two that followed, Untamed and Hunted. For now, though, I'm trying to review more of the new-to-me books I read so here goes...

I've noticed this mentioned in other reviews and suppose it's something I should point out... The other books are all in first person. This one is too...when it's from Zoey's perspective. But it flashes to some other perspectives (mostly Stevie Rae) and those are all in 3rd person.

I have to say that, for the most part, this book was like a transition between Hunted and the next book, Burned (due out in May, I think). That is, while it does have some story of it's own, mostly it settles some issues while expanding on and revealing other situations. As a result, I don't know that I can say I liked this book. It serves a purpose in the overall series, but doesn't hold much weight on it's own (definitely NOT stand-alone).

However, it didn't frustrate me like Chosen did, and I don't regret reading it because I would have missed pieces of the story. And I certainly plan to read the next book (I guess I should have added, this book includes a huge cliffhanger).

3 comments:

  1. i hated that cliffhanger...it was so abrubt i nearly cried...ZOEY!!

    but you're right...definitely NOT stand alone

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this series but haven't read Tempted yet - I'm waiting for the paperback to come out before I buy it. It's a shame to hear that it doesn't have much of a story to it but I'll still read it :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wings - I avoid reading books with cliffhangers until I know I have the next book on hand. I SO wish I had known about this one prior to. It was so sudden and so HUGE.

    Sarah - I read a library copy. As for the story... It was a little disappointing, but if I had to go back, I would still read it. ::shrugs:: I still like the series overall.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment. I love to hear from you!

Comments on posts older than 6 days are moderated.