Monday, January 18, 2010

Deal Breaker


Title: Deal Breaker

Author: Harlan Coben

Publisher: Delacorte Press

Copyright Date: 1995

Print Date: August 2006

ISBN: 0385340605

Pages: 339

Series: 1st in the Myron Bolitar series

Book Description (from dust jacket):

Sports agent Myron Bolitar is poised on the edge of the big time. So is Christian Steele, a rookie quarterback and Myron's prized client. But when Christian gets a phone call from a former girlfriend, a woman who everyone, including the police, believes is dead, the deal starts to go sour. Trying to unravel the truth about a family's tragedy, a woman's secret, and a man's lies, Myron is up against the dark side of his business — where image and talent make you rich, but the truth can get you killed.

A novel that will catch you off guard at every turn, Deal Breaker is spell binding entertainment, a true suspense classic from award winner and master storyteller Harlan Coben.

Comments:

I first heard of Harlan Coben a couple years ago. He was highly recommended, but I just got around to reading anything by him. Except for the language and sexual references (both of which I rather expected) I enjoyed this and am looking forward to reading more about Myron Bolitar, Win, etc. The characters were interesting, the story twisted, and I still have plenty of questions about Myron's past (What's the deal with him and Jessica? How soon did it take for him to look past the first impressions of Win? How involved was he with the FBI and what exactly did he do for them?) And I expect I'll discover at least some answers as I read the next 8 books in the series.

One thing I do want to note... like Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series, it's obvious this was first published in the 90s due to the many references to car phones. Seriously, I'd forget about the time difference (except when Myron makes some sarcastic remark about Win being a man of the 90s), and then a car phone would be mentioned and...oh, yeah. Makes me wonder what from today's technology is going to date today's books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. I love to hear from you!

Comments on posts older than 6 days are moderated.