Friday, October 9, 2009

Vamps


Title: Vamps

Author: Nancy A. Collins

Publisher: HarperTeen

Copyright Date: 2008

Print Date: August 2008

ISBN: 9780061349171

Pages: 222 + Glossary

Series: 1st in the Vamps series

Book Description (from back cover):

NIGHT SCHOOL NEVER LOOKED SO GOOD.

When the sun goes down, New York's true elite all head to one place: Bathory Academy, where the young ladies of the finest vampire families are trained in shapeshifting and luring their prey.

Bathory's reigning queen, Lilith Todd, is the daughter of a powerful vampire businessman, and she knows exactly what she wants from life. She wants to look beautiful for eternity and party till the sun comes up with her gorgeous boyfriend, Jules. And she doesn't want any New Blood upstarts standing in her way.

Enter Cally Monture, an unexpected threat from a trash zip code. When their first meeting leads to tragic results, Lilith is hungry for revenge.

Comments:

I won this from J. Kaye. It arrived after an email saying she was mailing it earlier than planned because she wasn't in the mood.

Early in the book, I wasn't so sure I was in the mood either. The vamps in question were so shallow and self-centered. If you've ever seen or even heard of that Bravo show - NYC Prep - this reminded me of that, only with vampires. But I have trouble not finishing a book, so I read on. (Note: I might set a book aside temporarily, but that wasn't happening in this case since I'd already agreed to mail it on.)

Eventually the book developed something of a plot and at least one character wasn't so shallow, but...

The end took me completely by suprise. As in, I wasn't expecting an end yet and don't know that it should be called "end" seeing as it was more like a "to be continued" (though not in so many words).

Overall, I found the entire book frustrating...start to finish. And yet, because of the way it left off, I think I might have to read the next one. Maybe. We'll see.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! I am so glad this turned out to be a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is too funny! I was on J. Kaye's book blog and you and I are both on her top commenter's blogroll. I just reviewed Vamps on my site and saw the little linky there and you were a few down from me with the same book!

    I pretty much felt the same way as you about this book. The brand-name dropping drove me nuts. I have the second in the series, but I'm holding off for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, the name dropping thing. At first I was... *Blink*. But then I thought about NYC Prep (a 'reality' show) and those kids did the same thing. I can't believe people actually talk like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. J. Kaye - I wouldn't say this is the kind of book I'd read regularlly, but the occasional dose...

    Anyway, thanks for offering/sending it!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment. I love to hear from you!

Comments on posts older than 6 days are moderated.