Tuesday, July 6, 2021

See Where We Come From! (A First Book of Family Heritage) by Scot Ritchie (British Columbia)


 See Where We Come From! (A First Book of Family Heritage) by Scot Ritchie (British Columbia)

I just happened to pick this one up on July 1st, and as I was reading it, I realized it fit the challenge.  I enjoyed this look into the different heritage people around us could have, as well as the many ways heritage can be expressed, whether that is food, sports, traditions, or stories.  

The book ends with a project (well, technically it ends with a glossary, but still...) for children to explore their own heritage.  I was especially pleased that it includes speaking with others and asking for their stories.  I feel that is so important, and we all should do it while we can (if we can).

For the technical stuff... this is a fictionalized non-fiction book - if that is a thing.  The overall book is teaching real information about various cultures etc., but through fictional characters.  I already mentioned the glossary; it includes words that are used throughout the book.  And the author speaks directly to the audience throughout the book with notes, explanations, pronunciations, and even questions ("Does anyone in your family prepare special dishes that you love to eat?").

This is apparently part of a series called "Exploring Our Community", and I'm be interested in reading more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. I love to hear from you!

Comments on posts older than 6 days are moderated.