Monday, June 8, 2020

It's Monday! What are you reading? 06/08/2020


Hosted by: Book Date
Life:

We are still having a rough time with my nephew and dad (who has been diagnosed with C. diff. in addition to his mental issues).

I got my last assignment in.  The next on isn't due for another week, although I need to start my research and observations ASAP.

I had started a garden in May.  I was excited at first, but this is my first time venturing beyond houseplants, and I don't think it is for me.  I planted half the garden late when the plants had started withering and discoloring (I tried to pay the kids $1/4 plants, but they didn't get them deep enough and gave up pretty quickly).  I haven't watered them yet (although it has rained quite a bit), I think I planted them too close together, and they are mixed so I don't know which plants are which.  However, I've had beautiful (if small) red strawberries.  Taste tests have shown them to be decent to thumbs up.  And some of the other plants have taken off - if only I can figure out what they are and what I'm supposed to do with them.  So maybe it isn't all that bad.

And on to the reading portion...

This week I read:

Not My Idea: A Book About Whiteness  (Ordinary Terrible Things) by Anastasia Higginbotham.
- I saw this promoted on Twitter, and the publisher was offering a PDF version for free, so I decided to try it out.  It is very brief (it's supposed to be a kids book), and I appreciate the mixed-media type of art work.  As for the content, I was of mixed feelings.
Murder at an Irish Wedding
(Irish Village Mystery, bk 2) by Carlene O'Connor
- This is an autographed paberback cozy mystery.  Anyone interested in it once I'm done?  Send me a direct message via Instagram @ponderingbks or email (jump_up_thrice [at] hotmail [dot] com) with your mailing address.  I offered last week with no takers, so it is still available.

Murder on Pleasant Avenue
(Gaslight Mystery, bk 23) by Victoria Thompson
- This is a library copy.  I wanted to read more from my personal collection as part of my library "decluttering", but I can't resist a Victoria Thompson mystery.  I love this series and her Counterfeit series as well.



Currently reading:

I had the opportunity to hear Kekla Magoon speak at YALSA 2019, and I have a copy of Light It Up, but it is a second book, and I need to read books in order.  In early March, I checked out library copies of both the print and audio for How It Went Down (which is the book that introduces the situation/neighborhood for Light It Up).  It is pretty intense and on top of that Covid-19 was happening, and I just couldn't focus.  However, it is very relevant (a black teen is shot and killed by a white man - not a cop), and I do still have that second book in my collection, and it did sound really intriguing when Kekla spoke about it, soooo... I'm giving it another go.


Up next:

We'll see.  Maybe Light It Up.  Maybe a cozy.  Maybe another must-read library book.  Maybe a little fantasy or romance.

What are you reading?

1 comment:

  1. My parents are keen gardeners, me not so much. This year, with lockdown, I've had more time to spare and have really enjoyed getting into it. Watering is key, as my mother likes to remind me!
    Enjoy your reading.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment. I love to hear from you!

Comments on posts older than 6 days are moderated.