Sunday, August 25, 2019

It's Monday! What are you reading? 08/26/2019


Hosted by: Book Date

In life:

I didn't have anything exciting or interesting happen during the week itself.  However, Friday I spent 5 hours hiking with friends (we may have gotten a tad lost on the trails), and Saturday I went with my sister and BIL to Wizard World Comic Con for my first time.  Both events were fun, but there was a LOT of walking involved.  Probably something I should be doing more often. 😊

My nephew (the one with autism) has been struggling lately.  He's been running (which is scary) and is on an emotional see-saw.  This became an issue while we were at the comic con and my mother had the kids.  Hopefully things will level out soon.

This week, I finished:

Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Grann (Read by Ann Marie Lee, Will Patton, and Danny Campbell.  This was a book discussion selection.  Very sad, very interesting.  In audio, it was a bit dry at first, but picks up as you go.  That may be partially as it was very descriptive setting the background, and I'm not really one for much description.)

Super Team by Bill Willingham et al. (Part of the Fables series.  The Fables are all in Haven, and will - maybe - be taking on Super Hero identities to fight the Dark Man.)

Bye-Bye, Black Sheep by Ayelet Waldman (Book 7 - and final - in the Mommy-Track Mystery series.  I really loved this series when I read the bulk of the books many years ago.  I had this one sitting on my shelves - obtained through PaperBackSwap.com - for many years, but never seemed to get to it.  I did enjoy it, but I think I would enjoyed it more without the huge gap in time between readings.  This author moved out of the cozy mystery genre after this book - she wrote a couple women's fiction, a historical fiction, and a couple nonfiction books - and I just never moved with her.)

Eye Spy by Mercedes Lackey (Valdemar: Family Spies, Bk 2... This wasn't my favorite Mercedes Lackey or Valdemar book.  It was kind of like multiple short stories in one, and did not have nearly the emotional impact and connection that I look for.  It was still a quick read, though and I will continue with the series.)

Sparkle Witch by Helen Harper (A novella following books 1-3 of the Lazy Girl's Guide to Magic series.  I purchased this ebook.)






Currently reading/listening:

As Chimney Sweepers Come to Dust by Alan Bradley (Read by Jayne Entwistle; Book 7 of the Flavia de Luce series)

The Orchid Thief: A True Story of Beauty and Obsession by Susan Orlean (This should have been on my "started but indefinite hold list", but I'm hoping to actually get back into it and maybe finish it this week.  I started it some time ago for a book discussion, but after the discussion happened, I never finished the book.)

Started but on indefinite hold:

I have three audiobooks that I started over the past  1 1/2 years but haven't finished.  Two of them were digital (a problematic format for me to do audio) and one of them is a hunkster:  

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking, Code Girls: The Untold Story of the American Women Code Breakers of World War II, and Moby Dick.

I'll get to these eventually, but I can't say when.

Upcoming:
  • More Fables Books (I should be starting the Fairest spin-off next)
  • I still really need to read Penne Dreadful by Catherine Bruns (an ebook I got through NetGalley AGES ago). 
  • I have a personal library full of books that I haven't read yet, an extensive list of library books that I'm behind on, and I've been growing my Kindle library with freebie ebooks.  I'd be doing well to read any of these...

8 comments:

  1. I liked what
    I read of the Mommy Track series too, but it’s been years.
    Killers of the Flower Moon is on my TBR, Penne Dreadful sounds fun.

    Have a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Everyone in my discussion group "liked Killers of the Flower Moon (as much as you can when the topic is sad/infuriating/etc.), so hopefully you will too.

      Delete
  2. Ha you sound like most of we readers, surrounded by so many books to read! I only like the digital format for audio. It must be very challenging to mind a child with autism, you all have my deep respect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - I read the blogs and see teh challenges that tell me everybody else also more books to read than they can handle. It's a trial. =)

      Digital audio has it's perks, but I haven't been able to adjust, as of now.

      Thank you. I'm just the aunt, but we're a pretty close family, and it's been incredibly difficult for my sister especially lately.

      Delete
  3. I've only just started the Mommy-Track mystery series. I do plan to read the other six. Have a good week. My weekly update.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did like Eye Spy. I like the Valdemar books and appreciate this one as it is suitable for younger readers. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it, or I wouldn't have been able to read it through so quickly. But I do think I prefer the Valdemar books that have more emotional depth.

      Delete

Please feel free to comment. I love to hear from you!

Comments on posts older than 6 days are moderated.