Monday, July 16, 2018

It's Monday! What are you reading? 7/16/2018

Hosted by: Book Date

It's been a week.  Dog training classes (2), book club, crafting night, volunteering (at a local cat rescue), worship, work, and some family things.  All in the life.

One of the dogs is on a mole hunt in the backyard.  She has dug several large holes along the fence-line trying to catch this mole.  Last year it took her the bulk of the summer to catch the mole plaguing us, and in the meantime we ended up with holes across the entire yard.  You can tell where it/they move(s) by watching the dog (as well as the tunnels that pop up, of course). Her head cocks as she listens, she sniffs around, and next thing you know dirt is flying.  Once she has decided the mole is out of reach she comes back with a dirty brown nose, dirty white sock paws, and an innocent "didn't I do good?" look.

Oh, and I almost forgot! I finally have my desktop set up!  (Many thanks to my father who spent hours running virus protection on my old, tired Vista and then more transferring all my files to a portable external hard drive.)  I've been a year+ just borrowing other computers.  This should definitely help my blogging.

This week I finished reading:


Ginny Moon by Benjamin Ludwig - [My post] An emotional and intense read.


From the Charred Remains (Lucy Campion Mystery, Bk 2) by Susanna Calkins - [My post] I look forward to beginning book three in this series.
I'm currently reading:

In audio (on CD), I've been listening to Moby Dick by Herman Melville (read by Paul Boehmer).  I haven't gotten much further in this story because I had some (Celtic) music CDs come in.  Ishmael has secured his place on the whaling vessel of his choice and will be introducing Queequeg.


Mary Flora Bell : The Horrific True Story Behind an Innocent Girl Serial Killer by Nancy A. Veysey and Ryan Becker - This book needed a lot more editing.  The punctuation is horrible, and the actual writing is too casual and scattered.  But the story and content is interesting (if horrifying and tragic).

The Good, the Bad, and the Uncanny (Nightside, Bk 10) by Simon R. Green - A new coworker's question about if I've been reading anything good lately brought the revelation that I haven't been reading enough fantasy lately.  So I decided to finish up the Nightside series.  I thought I was picking up where I left off, but as I've been reading the story began to feel vaguely familiar.  That would be because I've read it before... [My original post]  I'm going to finish it out without reading my post, and I guess this can still be a springboard to the end of the series.

Up next:

I have too many library books at once, and had to return some unread.  I hope to get back to them some other time.  Some of the library books I still have out include:

Eye of the Shoal : a Fish-watcher's Guide to Life, the Ocean and Everything by Helen Scales
The Scroll of Kings (Lost Books, Bk 1) by Sarah Prineas
White Sand Blues (Ashley Grant Mystery, Bk 1) by Vicki Delany (Canadian Author)
Almost Adulting: All You Need to Know to Get It Together (Sort Of) by Arden Rose


12 comments:

  1. I liked The Scroll of Kings. It was a nice middle grade fantasy. The Lucy Campion mysteries sound good too. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am enjoying the Lucy Campion mysteries so far, and The Scroll of Kings should be coming up soon. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. We don't have moles in New Zealand so happy about that, but I am guessing they keep your dog very happy as he very meaningfully hunts its prey down and is eventually successful. Happy reading for this coming week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you can be happy about that. Although I am sure there are other "pests". Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  3. I have the Scroll of Kings on hand to read soon. I'm finally home from an eight day trip. My weekly updates

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually started The Scroll of Kings... but I only managed 1 page before forgot it at my work desk buried under paperwork. Now it lost its place in line.

      Delete
  4. Glad to hear your computer is fixed. I have a tough time using someone else's PC. From the Charred Remains sounds superb. Hope you have a great week. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Yea, the computer has been a long process, but hopefully now all will be well.

      Delete
  5. Congrats on the new computer! I’m glad we don’t have moles here. My dog would dig up the whole yard. Have a good week and enjoy your books.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole yard will be dug up soon, I'm sure. You can be very glad you don't have moles.

      Delete
  6. I'm always borrowing too many books from the library and have to return them before I get to read them. I had to make a list of the books I need to take out again someday. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I do this. But my "try again" lists have hundreds of titles on them.

      Delete

Please feel free to comment. I love to hear from you!

Comments on posts older than 6 days are moderated.