Thursday, June 5, 2014

The Bad Beginning

Title: The Bad Beginning

Author: Lemony Snicket [Website] [Website 2][Facebook] aka Daniel Handler [Steven Barclay Agency][IMDb]; Read by Tim Curry [Website][IMDb]

Publisher: Listening Library

Series: Series of Unfortunate Events, Bk 1

ISBN: 0807219908

Length: 3 hours and 17 minutes (Features Interview with the Author)

Obtained: Library copy

Why this book?:

I'd been meaning to start this series for some time.  But I was researching great audiobooks for family road trips (for work), and this was recommended.  And I wanted to be sure the discs were in good playable condition.  So I started it as a test and ended up listening to it all the way through.

Comments:

I enjoyed this on multiple levels.  I enjoyed how vocab and phrases were both used and explained (something like: "[word] in this case meaning [explanation]").  The events in the story itself were pretty dark and had my stomach in knots because the reader is as helpless as the Baudelaire children (or more so).  This most certainly made the story more enthralling and involved.

Regarding the reading, I found Mr. Poe's continuous hacking quite annoying, but I guess that is part of the story and character. Tim Curry did a great job of catching the feel and voice of the story.

I look forward to reading more of the series. And of course it will have to be in audio.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. I love to hear from you!

Comments on posts older than 6 days are moderated.